Thursday morning came around and before I knew it I was lined up in the huge field of 66 Semi-Pros. We had to do 4 five mile laps with about 1000 ft of climbing per lap. This was going to be a very competitive race, and as this is my first year in this class I knew I was in for quite a ride. The gun went off and I got going to a good start. Although when the first steep hill came I shifted down and my chain fell off. I then hopped off and had to run my bike up this hill, and about 30 people went by me. I fixed my bike and finally got the chance to hop back on. I then finished the first lap in about 35 place.
When the second lap came around I knew it was time to get moving. I charged up the hills and barely hit my brakes going down the hills, and going into the third lap I was in 25 place, so I was able to pass 10 people! I kept on charging on the third lap but was only able to catch 5 people this lap, so coming down to the final lap I knew I had to give it everything that I had.
The last lap was interesting, I was chasing this group up the long hill, and by the top I had caught them and had put some time in on a few of them. I was now ready for a very fast descent. As we started to go down hill there was one of two guys sticking with me, I was going as fast as I could but they would not shake. There then came a quick uphill and I hammered it and was able to put some distance between us. I then hammered it home and I was able to finish in 18th place. This was a great finish for me, and I am very happy that I was able to place in the top 20 in the nation in the semi pro class!
Climbing in my favorite Pink hottie socks
Nick's race was on Saturday and he was able to put out a respectable 23rd in the Expect class. Nick has found that east coast racing is different from Michigan and I think he really enjoyed the challenge of all the climbing.
Sunday was the short track race, which is a 20 minute race around a short track. I didn't do so great here, I was just not there mentally, and without your mind pushing your legs I just could not push it out.
Overall it was a great race, and I really enjoyed having the Nickster out here. We had a really good time racing and hanging out, so thanks a lot Nick for visiting.
8 comments:
That is some good photography skill action.
Congrats on the good finish Mike.
And you are welcome for coming out. I will come visit you anytime (especially when you pay)! [So thank you]
It just gets better every ouiting - - you continue to amaze us. Keep up the good work in both your career and your play,they complement each other. We are so proud of you !
Grandpa
way to go Mike!!!!!!
I was talking to a guy today about your race and he said he wants lessons, I told him i taught you everything you know and i was cheap but he said no he wants the kid. Oh well.
See you in about 3 weeks.
Love you, Dad
Hey congrats on the awesome race! You're doing awesome! I love reading the blog! Hope all's going well
Love
Chrissy
Love the picture and the finish! As always it is very exciting watching you go all out! Your hard work shows.
Can't wait to see you:)
XOXOOXOXOXOX
Love you, Mom
Thanks for all of your support, I could not have done it without you!
Nice work Mike! I know I told you before, but I guess I can't tell you enough how proud of you I am!
Way to go in the race, Mike. We are very proud, also!
We love you, the Cafmeyers
Post a Comment