I had two mountain bike races this weekend, yes in the 95 degree heat! The race on Saturday was a short track race, meaning that its a smaller course and the race lasts about 25 minutes. These are tough because you have to go really really hard. I was pretty nervous for the race, as I upgraded into the pro/semi-pro category this year. The race was relatively small, I think there was 8 guys. The gun went off and so did I, I took the lead from the start, and it is history from there. I just kept on getting further and further ahead of the pack, and eventually started lapping everyone, and one guy twice. So I had a good day, and I felt all right considering the heat.
Sunday was the cross country event, and this is where just about everyone comes out. In the pro/semi-pro category there were 16 riders I believe, so a pretty big field. The gun went off and again so did I, I was the first or second off the line, which is always helpful in mountain bike racing. We then go going, but my lets didn't really want to. We started to hit the climbs and this is really where I noticed my legs lacking strength. I ushually do well on climbs, but not today. So I held on for dear life and clinched my teeth (by the way, I am so proud of my dad for clinching his teeth so hard at Boyne that he had to go to the dentist, that is really awesome, way to go Pops!!!!). This method can only get you so far without legs, so I gradually fell back into about 9 position. This was the story for the first three laps, wanting to get going but having my legs fail me. The final lap was time to get going. At this point there were a number of racers who had dropped out because of the heat (it was brutal) and others were getting weak, so I knew it was time to make the legs just go. Long story short I ended up going much faster on this lap and made up some good time. At the end of the race I was the 5th person across the line, a finish I am pretty proud of. A bit of bad news though, they for some reason only payed out the top three, they almost always pay out the top three, oh well.
So to recap, a win and a 5th, a weekend I can be proud of considering it was my first time in the pro/semi-pro class.
3 comments:
You really need to proofread before you publish. I was able to understand most of it, but did you mean your dad had to go to the dentist? (Density is close to dentist I guess.)
Anyway, good job this weekend.
Haha, i was wondering what the heck he meant by density. Yeah Mike, there are a few errors that make it really hard to understand, but I really like the title of the post. Very creative :-)
I can't wait to see you- only three more days!
I just got it...well done because it was so hot out...nice title.
Post a Comment